NOW DEFUNCT :(

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Beauty of Love

Love can make us jealous, whiny, annoying, clingy, bitchy, and just downright stupid...

But, love can also help us to endure the hardest of the hard & the worst of the worst. It can force us to be selfless in an otherwise self-centered world.

This is the only news story that I want to share today. This woman is in a coma in order to reduce the amount of pain that she is going through from her terminal strain of hepatitis. She was brought out of it long enough for her bedside wedding to her long time partner. She is only expected to live a few weeks longer.

I can understand that she must be in terrible pain if they have decided to keep her in a coma. Maybe it's just me - that I'm a hopeless romantic, that I'm so head over heels still after a year that I can't imagine being by Theron but not really being there, that I can't stand not seeing him for more than a week without getting amazingly lonely - but I can't imagine wanting to be in a coma - no matter how much pain I'm in - for the last few precious days and weeks of my life instead of staying awake with the people I love. Because of my health problems, I've thought about many of these types of scenarios and what I would do. I could understand if my husband didn't want to see me in pain so much - I would certainly sympathize. But I wouldn't want to be asleep so long before I die.

Even if I had to be in bed the whole time, if I had to eat through a tube, if I had to be pumped full of mega strength prescription meds, I would stay awake. I think I would suffer more to know that I was in a coma, going to die, and not spending time with someone that I love so much.

No comments: