NOW DEFUNCT :(

Saturday, May 3, 2008

What Religion am I?

I decided to explore the different quizzes claiming to find my religion today, kind of test them out.

The first site that I visited was one that I've been to before, for fun. I decided to take it again, to see if my beliefs had changed, which of course they haven't at all in a few months. Here's the list I got from there (to learn more about the religions, click on the titles):
1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Neo-Pagan (87%)
3. Theravada Buddhism (84%)
4. Mahayana Buddhism (81%)
5. Liberal Quakers (81%)
6. New Age (79%)
7. Secular Humanism (76%)
8. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (67%)
9. Taoism (61%)
10. Reform Judaism (53%)
11. New Thought (53%)
12. Scientology (50%)
13. Hinduism (49%)
14. Nontheist (48%)
15. Orthodox Quaker (44%)
The test gives 27 answers, but I feel it better to limit it. Jehovah's Witness was at the bottom of my list though, right below Islam and Roman Catholic. Apparently my free-spirited nature lends itself to being extremely open-minded to all beliefs (see number 1) and worshiping Mother Earth (see number 2). The Secular Humanism religion actually intrigues me a bit. It's not something that I heard of before taking this test, but something that I would support.

Another site I visited was a little less scientific and much more limited in religions. I found it on Quizilla, so I'm sure it's not accurate at all, but at least interesting to look at. I'm sorry, I didn't think about this when I was grabbing the code for the post, but you're gonna have to highlight the text below the picture to see it. Sorry! [EDIT: It should show up without highlighting now!]


What religion suits you?




Shintoism: Shintoism is a religion based in Japan and the Japanese culture. It's beliefs center mainly around the kami or the spirits. They believe in many of these spirits, and they also believe in worshiping and holding rituals and festivals for these spirits which they hold with honor and respect. Followers of Shintoism hold loyalty and honor in high esteem.
Take this quiz!


I couldn't get rid of the annoying Quizilla advertising, but alas I tried. [EDIT: It should be gone now!] I think it's interesting to note that I attend a Japanese Immersion school for kindergarten and part of first grade, and have really loved most everything Japanese since then. In my Asian Religions class last semester, it was very easy for me to grasp the idea of Shintoism because of my background with Japan and the parallels that I saw between worshiping one's ancestors and some of the crazy things I've seen in my extended family. I do believe also in spirits and ghosts, so it would make sense that this might be an answer for me.

I enjoyed this next quiz, When picking answers, you have the choice between "NO WAY!!!," neutral, and "TOTALLY!!!" It doesn't include a lot of religions, but enough of a variety to merit my posting.






Religion... What am I?
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Buddhist

You are Buddhist
Not knowing a Buddhist i am unable to comment...

:(


sorry, but you must be way cool :-P


Buddhist



90%

Atheist



70%

Scientologist



30%

Agnostic



20%

Pagan



10%

Christian



0%

I thought it was interesting that the person was creating comments based on the people around him/her that s/he knew. From a scholarly standpoint, that doesn't seem very smart, but obviously these quiz makers aren't doing it from a scholarly standpoint.

The other quizzes that I took only had a few results, one just listing various forms of Christianity and Satanism/Paganism. I think that the youth of today needs to be exposed to more than just the severe polar opposites like that, but to other fun religions like those from the Far East. Obviously I'm gonna show some bias about that, being a religion major, but I really think that being exposed to everything is a great idea. People in the world that we now live in need to know about all kinds of people, not just the perceived good and bad. The times that I've mentioned Buddhism to the high schoolers at work, they get this weird vision of me not eating and being some weird crazy person who likes to eat bugs and stuff. Once I explain it to them, they actually get interested in Buddhism, and start thinking that some parts of it have a really good point.

I know that many parents would freak over the idea of mandatory religious education, but I think that it's an important part of society. If we could educate everybody about religion, just like we need to continue to strive to do with music, then I think that the world will be a little more understanding of other people, which will lead to more peace.

5 comments:

Krista said...

Don't you think the concept of "What Religion am I?" completely destroys the purpose for religion in the first place. I really enjoyed your blog but do not understand why one would want to know what religion they are. I would think that one would want to know what religion should I be. After all isn't religion a means to happiness? Doesn't happiness come in different ways according to different religions? If so, which "way" truly makes you the happiest. Should this not be the religion that you want to unite with?

Kirsten Schultz said...

Hi Josh. First off, thanks for reading and for commenting.

I'm a religion major in college, so I do agree with your point of view whole-heartedly. From a scientific point of view, I just wanted to investigate how accurate these things were really. I'm a Buddhist, so I thought that it was interesting to see what the different quizzes said that I would be, whether or not they had Buddhist as an answer.

Religion is a means to happiness. It's also a means to explain the origins of the world and existence.

I hope that you'll continue reading, and again thanks for reading and commenting!

Theron Schultz said...

Since Universal Unitarianism seems to basically allow you to believe anything you want, is there any way to have it not be 100%? :)

Kirsten Schultz said...

Heh.

Probably not. :-P

Anonymous said...

Belief-O-Matic didn't work too well for me. At the top of my list:
1. Unitarian Universalism
2. Theravada Buddhism
3. Secular Humanism

The religions that I most closely identify with--Zen (a form of Mahayana Buddhism) and Catholicism--ranked 12th and 24th respectively in my results, out of 27 worldviews listed.

This quiz probably does reveal how deeply I was formed by my secular humanist, vaguely Unitarian upbringing. But it probably also reveals that the quiz's authors don't understand Catholics like me.

Prof. K. B.