NOW DEFUNCT :(

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Really? I - I - Really?

So I recently read this story, which just put into words what CNN and other news organizations were saying:

Seven in 10 African Americans who went to the polls voted yes on Proposition 8, the ballot measure overruling a state Supreme Court judgment that legalized same-sex marriage and brought 18,000 gay and lesbian couples to Golden State courthouses in the past six months.

"I think it's mainly because of the way we were brought up in the church; we don't agree with it," said Jasmine Jones, 25, who is black. "I'm not really the type that I wanted to stop people's rights. But I still have my beliefs, and if I can vote my beliefs that's what I'm going to do.

"God doesn't approve it, so I don't approve it. And I approve of Him."

The overwhelming rejection of same-sex marriage by black voters was surprising and disappointing to gay rights advocates who had hoped that African Americans would empathize with their struggle.

Pablo Correa said his mind was made up by a TV spot in which a young girl comes home from school and tells her mother she learned how a prince could marry a prince.


Really? I can kinda understand the church argument, but really?

I thought that black people, especially those who had lived through (or relived through stories) the era of interracial marriage banning AND the era where blacks couldn't officially get married at all, would support the homosexuals. Am I really just too far out there? Does religion override their ability to help people in a similar situation?

I am really sad that this ban passed. Eventually, gay marriage will be allowed (most) everywhere, but I really felt like now was the time. If we're so ready for change and equality, why can't we grant it to the group that is the most discriminated against?

This argument that children will have to learn about princes marrying princes is bullshit. Kids aren't taught about marriage of ANY kind in school until they're old enough to understand (aka middle school at the very earliest). Even then, this information is NOT shoved down their throats.

This election, with the exception of Obama being put in the White House, was a failure on many fronts. Not only did Proposition 8 pass, so did a ban on unmarried adoptions and foster care in Arkansas - which was directly aimed at gay couples.

That's right, because every gay child is the result of a gay parent...

All this discrimination is just freaking ridiculous. Since people seem to NOT understand the basis of the Constitution and Bill of Rights, I'm rewriting both.

No comments: