NOW DEFUNCT :(

Monday, July 21, 2008

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na-na Batman!

I was perusing the Batman related news articles today when I came across one from Time about how 'The Dark Knight' beat 'Spiderman 3' at the box office. They cite it as some amazing feat. I'm sorry, I love Spiderman, I really do, but having an emo Spiderman with two enemies, an inner struggle, an angry best friend, a hurt and neglected girlfriend, AND that pretty lil thing he tries to cheat on Mary Jane with - it was just too much. The movie was too full. I really liked how the segue ways were all comic book-ish, but I thought that they should've done that all along. Other than that, the movie sucked. It could've been two movies and been just fine.

If it was just about a battle between who was the better superhero, I still might have to go with Batman. As the original Joker says, "Where does he get those wonderful toys?" Spiderman does hold a special place in my heart, however.

I have not seen 'The Dark Knight' yet, but plan to do so soon. I'm both excited and nervous for the film. Being a Heath Ledger fan from way back, I almost don't want to see it because of the emotional damage it did to him to play the Joker, and how it probably contributed to his early death. On the other hand, I want to see him play a bad guy - something he really never had done.

1 comment:

Theron Schultz said...

It beat Spider-Man 3 by $4 million? By how much did it beat the top movie in 1998? How about 1988? 1978? I guess I don't get why they don't ever mention higher prices, a bigger population and/or more theaters, and all that jazz when crowing about movies making more money than previous flicks. Granted one year isn't that long a time for those effects to take place, but still.