NOW DEFUNCT :(

Monday, April 14, 2008

Guns on Campus?

Really?

Recently there's been a push to get guns allowed on college campuses in response to the recent school shootings. While I support the Second Amendment, I think this is a disastrous idea.

Living in the Milwaukee area, I see the damage that guns can do almost everyday on the news, driving around, whatever. I don't think the answer to crazy people with guns is to give other crazy people guns. I've gone out with a couple guys in the past who've had anger issues. The last thing I want to see is them on campus with a gun to "defend" themselves. What then? The next time someone pisses them off, they can pull out a gun on them?

Honestly, I know that I'd feel completely unsafe if people on campus had guns. I'm sure that certain crimes would go up, because not a whole lot of girls are going to want to carry guns (unless of course they live in Waukesha). So what, then we got girls getting raped and killed too?

Trust me, the last thing I want in the whole world is for something to happen at Carroll. I know that I'm someone who helps when I'm needed, and I'd probably get hurt pretty bad trying to help others get to safety. I'll admit, it's a scary thought. But, I trust Carroll. I know that if something was suspected, they would take care of us. They're talking about setting up an emergency text message system, like that at several of the schools that have been attacked lately.

Parents need to help monitor their children, help set good examples, and, if their kids need medication, help remind them to take it and make sure they're doing it. I'm sure it's hard to do when kids are moving cross-country for college, but I think it's an important thing. If the foundation for taking meds is set right during high school, then kids are less likely to stray from that.

What's scary to me is the thought of drunken, angry, sex-crazed college students walking around with guns on their belts. That's not the answer to the problem at all. It will just cause more issues than it solves.

I think the solution is for all the schools to set up emergency text message alerts, just like Carroll is looking into. Security needs to be tighter, and whenever there's anything suspected the school needs to close, just like Oakland did yesterday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Plotter, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://plotter-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.