NOW DEFUNCT :(

Monday, April 20, 2009

The Middle East

In the past few weeks, I have spent more time studying about the conflict between Israel and Palestine. Like a parent often thinks, I do not believe it is important to know who 'started' the conflict. Instead, the focus of my attention has been on something far more important - something worthy of my time. 

A few weeks ago, I attended a UNAFF showing of a film called "Faces." This film portrays the plights of artists from outside the country to post their art in very public places. This isn't your average art, either, which makes is even more difficult. You can see the trailer for it here. As much as I was against the Israeli occupation of the state of Palestine before, this film pushed me further outside of my comfort zone, teetering on the edge.

I attended a speech today given by a Jewish-American woman, not too much older than myself, who is pro-Palestinian. It was so relieving to see how many people attended the speech. I really hope that it helped to open the eyes of others. This woman's speech pushed me off the edge of that comfort zone. I feel that I can no longer stand by while innocent people are being killed and not being allowed to have the basic rights that I have as a free person.

I challenge each and every one of you to do some research about this conflict. Do not limit yourself to resources from the United States, because, as a nation, we side with Israel. Read about the Palestinians' plights and the horrors that they must endure just to exist. Put yourselves in their shoes.

If you are interested in learning more about Palestinians, please visit these links:
Please do not be afraid to comment or share your input on this issue. The way to figure out possible solutions is through healthy discussion.

No comments: