NOW DEFUNCT :(

Friday, January 16, 2009

Oh Tommy Boy

Tom Hanks, you are never too far from my heart:
“The truth is this takes place in Utah, the truth is these people are some bizarre offshoot of the Mormon Church, and the truth is a lot of Mormons gave a lot of money to the church to make Prop-8 happen,” he told Tarts. “There are a lot of people who feel that is un-American, and I am one of them. I do not like to see any discrimination codified on any piece of paper, any of the 50 states in America, but here's what happens now. A little bit of light can be shed, and people can see who's responsible, and that can motivate the next go around of our self correcting Constitution, and hopefully we can move forward instead of backwards. So let's have faith in not only the American, but Californian, constitutional process.”

Bill McKeever, a rep for the Mormonism Research Ministry, added, "Personally, I find it un-American to tell people that they shouldn’t vote their conscience. Hanks said he doesn’t 'like to see any discrimination codified on any piece of paper.' Considering that just about every law discriminates in some form or another, makes this comment ridiculous. Hanks’ comment shows that he very much believes in discriminating against people with whom he disagrees. I may not agree with Mormon theology, but I certainly defend their right to express their opinion."
I agree with both points. However, I agree with Tom Hanks more. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I don't think that churches should be involved in politics to that extent. Technically, they could tax exempt status for doing so.

If America is really the land of the free and the home of the brave, then why do we not allow everyone to have the same rights without fighting even harder than the last minority group?

No comments: