NOW DEFUNCT :(

Thursday, February 7, 2008

I noticed...

that most people who visit my blog have done a search for phenylalanine... or the lyrics to Bubbly - I really do love that song. But I digress. A girl left me a comment on the post I did about phenylalanine thanking me for posting all that information. Not a lot of people realize why that warning is on the labels of our drinks, gum, and dietary food. It kinda makes me feel good to think that I am making a difference in people's lives.

I myself am a phenylketuronic - someone allergic to phenylalanine. I used to think that it was some sort of stupid allergy, a curse even. Now that I know about phenylalanine and the problems that it causes, I truly see it as a blessing.

One very big thing that I would like to say is that even if you don't buy into all the science behind this chemical and the problems that it causes, do not give your child diet sodas or let them chew the types of gum that contain this chemical. They have not done studies, but I would bet that this chemical would do far more damage to a small child's DNA than to our adult bodies. Since this chemical alters DNA, I would also ask that pregnant mothers please not imbibe this chemical.

I'm sure that in the next few days I will gather more information about phenylalanine. Until then, take care everyone.

No comments: