NOW DEFUNCT :(

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Odd News

Happy father's day everybody!

As normal readers know, I love to talk about weird/odd news stories. I thought for this post I'd try to compile some weird stories that I've seen in the last week or so since I posted (Again, sorry about that. I've been working a ton, and spent the past two days up at my boyfriend's, where posting was obviously the last thing on my mind).

The first story comes all the way from China... about Bolivia. The Xinhua news agency had a story about a protest-turned-riot at the U.S. Embassy over two former Bolivian officials granted asylum in the United States. This version of the story is a little confusing when paired with an American account, but it could just be translation issues. Former Bolivian Defense Minister Sanchez Berzain was accused of genocide, but the U.S. account talks about that being a misunderstanding over 60 deaths. In the Chinese account, the 60 deaths are mentioned when talking about former Bolivian President Gonzalo Sanchez de Lozada. Supposedly he hasn't actually been granted asylum though. Ironically, I can't find the U.S. account of the story I originally read, so this one will have to do. It's interesting that it actually hasn't been on the televised news as far as I've seen, but I guess it's understandable since we all seem to focus on princesses running around naked and the latest news in the Hogan saga.

Speaking of naked princesses... I understand the critical eye with which royalty is watched - it's extremely similar to how the paparazzi treats the top movie and music stars in America. There is almost no privacy, despite the facade of it. Silly college girls drinking are bound to end up frolicking around school grounds naked at some point or other. At least it happened after Fergie stopped her Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig or whatever-it-was commercials.

Oh, and in other news, I forded some roads this weekend. On my way out to Theron's humble abode, I had to cross some river-infiltrated roads. They really weren't bad at all, and on the way home tonight there was barely any sign of the extra water. However, out by Beaver Dam, the water got pretty bad in several spots. I'm glad Theron was driving and that we were in his mom's newer car. We went for a pretty nice long walk today looking at the flooding near his house. The dam in some spots looks as though it's gonna have some serious problems if it rains like that again anytime soon. I guess the levee on Fox Lake near Beaver Dam broke, which means fun times are ahead for the city already in serious trouble [Thanks Theron :-P]

Try and stay dry everyone - it's supposed to rain a little more today.

3 comments:

Theron Schultz said...

It's the levee by Fox Lake which is a city northwest of Beaver Dam. :)

Theron Schultz said...

It's not the Fox River! :) It was Fox Lake and I believe that it's the Beaver Dam River.

Kirsten Schultz said...

Ahhh!
I failed again!
Thanks Theron
:-P