NOW DEFUNCT :(

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Love

Yet another post spurred by a friend's myspace bulletin. She posted a survey about her love life, and it got me to thinking. It was about the little things - money, food, chores. We're always so quick to talk about the everyday idiosyncrasies that we love and hate, but somehow that makes us lose track of the big picture, the best things - the way they make us feel.

Everyone is guilty of this. Some of us get too attached, others not attached enough.We all get too short with our loved ones, and don't apologize sometimes when we should. And I know that a lot of us who have been hurt in the past have a hard time trusting those we love and worrying that we're not good enough, not perfect.

I think that if we could step back from the everyday snippy comments, insecurities, and annoyances, and look at why we feel in love with our sweethearts, we would appreciate them more. Love isn't easy, but it is worth it. It is a part of the hierarchy of needs for a reason.

I'm sure that first when we analyze we'll see the physical things that we like. Theron's smile just threw me overboard. His eyes are amazing, but the way they light up when he smiles... it's indescribable. The day I met him, that's what immediately attracted me physically.

Then we'd probably move on to the next thing we notice - more than likely a (lack of) sense of humor and personality. For most people, we need someone enough like us that they dorky, silly things we do don't make us feel stupid. Someone who can understand the things we've been through, who we can relate to. But we also need someone different enough that we get along well. Theron and I have led different lives by far, but our interests are similar, we understand each other, and we can look past the other stresses in each other's lives to see the real person and his/her feelings.

If my past relationships have taught me anything, it's that the first month of one is so easy -- figuring out the easy boundaries, discovering the other person... honestly, it's more infatuation than love. But true love isn't always easy, but is hard and a difficult journey. If we work hard enough, maybe, just maybe, we can get past the mundane anger and frustration and truly appreciate the people close to us.
___________________

In other news, I got a car. Well, my mom got a different car and I get hers rather. I have most of this week off, which will be nice for reading and catching up/getting ahead on homework. And I think I'm starting to get over being sickly. My arthritis is being crap lately, but that's to be expected with more humid weather.

No comments: