NOW DEFUNCT :(

Friday, March 13, 2009

Brown & Houston (aka Rihanna)

Anyone else think this is just a repeat of Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston?

I've tried to sit out on this as long as I could, mostly because I've been getting over a nasty cold, but I can keep quiet no longer. At first, I was very worried for Rihanna. I enjoy her music and, sure, I guess you could call me a fan. However, I recently heard that she and Chris Brown have reconciled, even going so far as to record a duet together. I gotta tell ya, I'm not happy about it.

I'm always the friend who's trying to get people to see how the decisions that they're making affect their lives, both in the short and long-terms. As such, I'm extremely disappointed that she would get back with Chris Brown. Let's toss away the regard for her personal life, say parents, and focus on her place as a role model. I sure don't want my little girl looking up to Rihanna and, consequently, getting back together with an abusive boyfriend because, well, RiRi did it, so it must be fine.

At the same time, I believe that this should be a somewhat private matter for her. I mean, she did just get the living shit beat out of her by someone she loves. But, again, as someone who's been in an abusive relationship, I know that it's not easy to get out of. She had a great out here with how public this beating became. It's just sad that she chose not to use this opportunity to get help.

No comments: